Amusements & Family Fun
Are you interested in a traditional country fair in a picturesque setting? Then the Worcester County Fair is for you! Held annually the second week of August, the Worcester County Fair is fun for the whole family. The fair offers a variety of activities and entertainment, as well as hosting various craft, education, and food vendors that will stimulate the imagination and please the senses. Admission is free!
alt="image" /> alt="image" />
Byrd Park - Snow Hill, Maryland
There always something new for you and your family to see and do - like crabbing, souvenir shopping and even getting lost in time at local attractions. Of course there is all the fun you will have on Ocean City's fantastic beach. But there's also:
- Miniature Golf
- Amusement Parks
Find out more...
Whether you are here for the whole summer or just a week or two, there are many programs that will be great fun for your kids.
Download our “Just for Kids” brochure in PDF to find out more.
Now you can watch NASA rockets taking off from the Beach & Beyond. Wallops Island, Virginia is a NASA Space Facility that is one of only four major rocket launch locations in the United States. Space station resupply rockets, moon missions and more now take off from nearby Wallops making it easy to view them from Maryland's seaside. Visit wallopsisland.org for launch dates, viewing information, hotels, restaurants, and a multitude of activities that will keep you occupied if the launch is delayed!
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center's Wallops Flight Facility also has special exhibits and and an auditorium for presentations. They hold regular educational events for young people including regular model rocket demonstrations during which model rocketeers are invited to bring their own rockets to launch.
Route 175, near Chincoteague Island, Virginia
For launches & other events on the base call: 757-824-2050
View this free vacation planner and learn all you need to plan your Ocean City, Maryland vacation. This planner is full of information about Ocean City – everything from hotels, condos, restaurants, shopping, amusements, attractions, golf, fishing and more. Many special deals and coupons are located throughout the guide as well as maps and general town information. Click here to get the guide.
Worcester County has many fine parks where you and your family can play and explore our beautiful natural treasures. At our parks you can also find sports events, camping, entertainment, and educational programs. Download our guide to parks or visit the Parks website at: http://www.worcesterrecandparks.org
Click here to download this guide with all the details on these great places.
1. Ocean City Boardwalk & Lifesaving Station Museum - Located at the inlet, this museum interprets the fascinating history of O.C. and its life saving service, along with kids programs including; knot tying, “All About Sharks” program and aquarium feeding. 410-289-4991.
2. Walking Tour of Historic Downtown Ocean City - Discover its 1875 roots as a small fishing village and some of the architectural gems that still occupy the downtown today. 410-289-1413.
3. Sundaes in the Park, Free Beach Concerts & Bonfire Hour - Enjoy all events free, free!! Sundaes in the Park-Bring the family and enjoy live musical entertainment. Create your own sundae. Sundays; July-August, 6pm-8pm. Northside Park. 410-250-0125. Concerts on the Beach-Live entertainment every Wednesday. Bring a blanket or chair. July-August, 8pm. North Division Street. 410-250-0125. Bonfire Hour- sit beside the bonfire and learn interesting facts, history and fun things to do. Thursdays; July-August, 9pm. North Division Street. 800-OC-OCEAN.
4. Assateague Island National Seashore and State Park - Stop at the Barrier Island Visitor Center, see wild horses, sika deer and a beach landscape unchanged over centuries. 410-641-1441. (15 min. from O.C.) Hike and Bike at Assateague National Seashore - Hike the three nature trails; Life of the "Dunes", "Marsh", and "Forest" Trails. You can also bike or canoe the designated trails. Rental information: 410-213-2297.
5. Berlin’s Commercial Historic District Visit a Victorian Village, the location of 2 major motion pictures, Runaway Bride and Tuck Everlasting. Don’t miss the art galleries, antiques and boutiques. Calvin B. Taylor House Museum - Memorial Day thru October - Mon, Wed, Fri & Sat, 1-4pm. 410-641-1019. Sit and have an old-fashioned milkshake at Rayne’s Reef. (Berlin is 15 min. from O.C.)
6. Furnace Town Living Heritage Museum Experience a 19th century industrial village, the site of Maryland’s only bog ore furnace, including broom house, kitchen garden, print shop, weaving house, woodworkers shop and blacksmith. April through October, 10am-5pm daily. 410-632-2032. (35 min. from Ocean City.)
7. Canoe or Kayak the scenic Pocomoke River, Nassawango Creek or the Coastal Bays. Outfitters: Pocomoke River Canoe Company 410-632-3971. Assateague National Seashore Rentals Maryland Coastal Bays Program 410-213-2297. (30 minutes from Ocean City.) Ayres Creek Adventures: 443- 513-0889. SuperFun Ecotours: 410-656- 9453. Coastal Kayak: 302-539-7999.
8. Pocomoke River State Park - Hike our trails, fish in the catch and release pond, look for bald eagles and rent a boat or canoe. 410-632-2566. (35 min. from Ocean City.)
9. Tour Art Galleries in Berlin, Snow Hill and Ocean City - Take an art lesson or just browse and shop for locally produced jewelry, pottery or canvas art.
Berlin Galleries, (15 min. from Ocean City.)
Jeffrey Auxer Designs 443-497-0812
The Globe, Fine Food, Arts & Spirits 410-641-0784
Worcester County Arts Council Gallery 410-641-0809
Snow Hill Galleries (30 minutes from Ocean City.)
Bishop’s Stock 410-632-3555
Ocean City Galleries
Ocean City Center for the Arts 410-524-9433
10. Explore the Delmarva Discovery Center on the banks of the river in Pocomoke City. The shore’s leading destination for hands-on discovery featuring a live otter exhibit. 410-957-9933. http://www.delmarvadiscoverycenter.org
Beaches & Surfing
A natural barrier island with lush marshlands and sandy beaches is just a few minutes south of Ocean City.
The island is home to Assateague Island National Seashore and Assateague State Park in Maryland; and Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge in Virginia. The wild ponies of Assateague are a favorite of visitors. Thousands visit the area each year just to see them.This island is home to pelicans, egrets, ospreys and hundreds of other birds. Assateague is a wild and beautiful barrier island with miles of beach, sand dunes and marsh to explore.
Find out about island parks, camping, programs, and other services:
Assateague State Park: http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/eastern/assateague.html
Assateague Island National Seashore: http://www.nps.gov/asis/
Assateague Wild Horses: http://www.nps.gov/asis/naturescience/horses.htm
Ten miles of dazzling, white-sand beaches welcome sunbathers, joggers and beach lovers to the resort town of Ocean City year-round.
Surfers can catch waves at any beaches before 10am but between Memorial Day and Labor Day after 10am surfers must go to the desginated beach which rotates through town. Find out more at: http://oceancitysurfreport.com
Cyclists cruise the Boardwalk in the early morning. In the evening, the Boardwalk comes to life as visitors stream into specialty shops, amusement parks, arcades and restaurants.
Fishing enthusiasts can fish for blue and white marlin, shark and tuna in the waters off the coast. Sailors, water skiers, parasailors, kayakers and windsurfers can perfect their technique in the bay waters. Those with a more romantic bent can opt for a sunset cruise on a private sailboat.
More Places To Play